Pages

Sunday, August 17, 2014

A Mechanics Suit is Totally Cute

She Knits in Pearls

Last week I made this totally cute mechanic suit jumper. I'm using the term "made" rather loosely here as there really wasn't much too it. I got the idea in my head from one of the many fabulous videos from the amazing lady over at A Vintage Vanity. I'd love to tell you which video it was and even link it, but I really have no idea. She's got so many videos and I think I've watched most of them 2 or 3 times so they tend to blend together. The woman is so creative and such an amazing and unique personality. If you have any questions about how to do vintage hair styles, the women is an absolute genius and a joy to watch. I highly recommend her videos. In this video, that I cannot name, she was showing off some of the fabulous finds of one of her shopping sprees. One piece in the pile was this absolutely darling jumpsuit that looked like a mechanics suit with shorts and short sleeves. I fell in love with it and just knew I had to find a way to get something similar into my wardrobe. As my budget does not allow me to shop the way I'd like to, I often have to get creative, and so, the wheels started turning.

She Knits in Pearls

I can't believe I found this jumpsuit on the first try. Seriously, just as soon as I get the idea in my head and swing by the thrift store on the off chance that I could find something suitable, there it was. Like it was waiting for me. And to top it off, it happened to be 50% off. Oh, I love it when that happens.

After playing around and getting that "before" picture. I laid it out on the floor and found a blouse out of my closet that I liked the length of the sleeves. Laying the blouse on top of the jumper, I marked how long I wanted them (with the help of my Chihuahua, Cupcake) and adding about an inch for the cuffs.

She Knits in Pearls

I then did the same for the legs, using a pair of shorts as a guide. I wanted the sleeves and legs to have cuffs rather than hems, so I rolled them all up twice, ironed them and pinned them. Just to make sure, I then tried it on to see if it was looking alright. I'm glad I did, because, I decided that the sleeves needed to be just a bit shorter. So, I rolled them up one more time and re-ironed and pinned. Then got to sewing them all up.

She Knits in Pearls

Add a red belt, and here it is. I'll be the first to admit that it isn't perfect, but I'm totally in love with it. I think Cupcake likes it too, after all she helped make it.

She Knits in Pearls

Then to top it all off, I made this bandana/headband from a small bit of fabric out of my stash. Yes, I'm rather pleased with myself.
 She Knits in Pearls  Vintage Style

All in all, I'd say it was a great day for crafting and it turned in to a great evening at the fair. I couldn't believe how many compliments I got on my new outfit.

Vintage Style She Knits in Pearls

Am I the only one that LOVES it when people photobomb their pictures? Look at these silly gals in the background. Just too funny. That's all for now folks. Until next time, remember to enjoy the silly moments in life.

XOXO Cherry


6 comments:

  1. Nice score!! You can pull off so many different looks with that jumpsuit as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm having a hard time not wearing it every day. It's just so easy of an outfit!

      Delete
  2. It completely blows my mind that you took something that looks like it belongs on a Jiffy Lube employee, and turned it into something so cute with so little effort. No wonder you were getting compliments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ERMEGERD...I love love love it! :D It turned out amazing and you look gorgeous in it! ~hugs~ Thanks so much for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, standing ovation level cool transformation, dear gal. I am doffing my vintage hat over here in your direction big time!!! Fabulous work!!!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just squeal with joy when every you take the time out of your day to stop by my tiny little spot on the web. You are such an inspiration to me. I had a lot of fun with this retro redo.

      Delete

01 09 10