Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2016

A Valentine's Day Dress for Penelope

She Knits in Pearls

No, I haven't changed my name to Penelope.  Not that it isn't a perfectly lovely name, and shortened to Penny is just oh, so adorable.  Even cuter still is this adorable cardigan I finished knitting a month or so ago aptly named the Penelope Cardigan from the talented designer Andi Satterlund.  I am such a sucker for her designs!  If you've been around for a little while you know that I've shared many, many, MANY other sweaters I've made from her designs and I have no plan on stopping. 

She Knits in Pearls

At the beginning of the year, I told myself that this was the year that I FINALLY learn how to do color work.  Honestly, I think this has been part of my knitting resolutions for 8 or more years now.  But beyond simple stripes, I have yet to do so.  When I saw this pattern with a simple little bit of color work, I thought it would be a perfect way to get my needles wet and take some of my fears away.  There are only 2 rows of stranded knitting that create the lovely scallop pattern along the color change.  Guess what?  I did it, and it wasn't scary at all.  I think my next color work project will be a fair isle hat.  Unfortunately, that will have to wait a bit.  My brain just can't handle that right now.
Penelope Cardigan

I used Patons Classic Wool Superwash DK weight. This was a great, inexpensive, high quality wool that has been treated with a superwash solution so you don't have to be afraid to wash it.  Although, I still wouldn't recommend washing it in extremely hot water and tumbling it on high.  You just wouldn't want to temp fate like that.    I had no problems with the pattern and the only little alterations I made was putting the contrasting color on the sleeve cuffs.

She Knits in Pearls

I've been on a pretty tight shopping ban over the last few months.  As I am planning on moving across the country next fall I (a) don't want to have to move too much stuff and (b) need to save up money for the move.  I had absolutely no intention of buying a new dress for a Valentines Day night out.  But when a deal falls into your hands (by way of cell phone in hands) sometimes you just have to go for it.  I don't buy many dresses on-line, as you know, I make most of my skirts.  I just happen to be scrolling through Instagram and one of the lovely ladies that I follow was selling this dress.  Only one other time have I come across a cute dress, IN MY SIZE, at a great price (and I jumped on that one too).  It's probably a good thing that it doesn't happen too often or I might never be able to afford to move. 

She Knits in Pearls


This darling red hearts dress is from Retrolicious.  I was a little scared when I opened up the package and discovered that the thick, good quality cotton had no stretch to it.  Usually, that means that it isn't going to fit my proportions.  I was pleasantly surprised when I slipped it carefully over my victory rolls and zipped it up like it was sewn to my measurements.  Just more proof that me and this body I am in are meant to wear this style of clothing.  It fits me and my personality so well. 

She Knits in Pearls

I hesitate to talk too much about store bought clothing on my blog here.  Although I want to support the companies that I like and love to share when I get a good deal, I see too many blogs out there that only talk about this new dress or that new skirt.  Most of which I could never afford (seriously, how do these girls afford to wear new clothes every week!?!?) If I want to see all the clothes I can't afford, I'll go to that companies website.  Also, I want more from a blog.  I want to get to know the person wearing the clothes, not just what brand they are wearing and that said clothes are so great and comfortable or versatile.  Sometimes I feel like I'm just looking at a page in a catalog, which isn't why I read blogs.  I'm not trying to bad mouth anyone, I still usually find myself clicking through them for style inspiration but it's not the kind of blog I want to write.  So for the most part, I'll stick to sharing my hand made garments, how I style them and the occasional purchased garment that I've usually gotten for a real great deal.

P.S.  Is anybody else obsessed with cute picture frames on photo editors?  As you can see, I went a little crazy with them this week.

XOXO,
Cherry

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10